Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Faces of Asheville

So, once again, my gal Nikki is looking out for me...she invited me to tag along to this fundraising event at the Orange Peel downtown...called Faces of Asheville. http://www.jennybowen.com/FOA/index.html Jenny is this local photographer who is documenting the "faces" of Asheville in an attempt to raise awareness for concerns surrounding Asheville's growth and future. It's not hard to find interesting and unique characters in this town, that's one thing for sure! Check out the link above to learn more.

Anyway, it's an interesting story -- and one that really inspires me as a photographer. I mean, if SHE can pull this large of a project off, why can't I (me, little 'ol me) make more of this photography thing?!?! This event was the last of a handful of fundraising events, and a nice crowd gathered on a Monday night to support her. It was...um, interesting to say the least. Everyone from the local street urchin, to the mayor was there. Many of her subjects were there, speaking to the whys and what's of their love and frustrations of living in Asheville. Much of the spoken word really resonated with me...the beauty, the art, the people, the energy, the individuality of this town...there was even a little controversy and political rhetoric! This town, and it's people, is never boring!!

But, of course, my main interest in the night was the music - Nikki's and otherwise - and my hope to capture a few good shots...if for nothing, to fullfull my Project 365 goals!! My only annoyance was that they cut Nikki's performance short -- right in front of everyone, which rightfully pissed Nikki off, and many of the audience who was enjoying her performance.

So, I share a few of those pics with you now...everything from Nikki's rockin' and rantin' to acrobatics to hoola hoopin' to hammering on a dulcimer and amazing goofy slam grass jams...

In these photos: Mary Sparks & Space Medicine, Nikki Talley, The Libravado Sisters and Snake Oil Medicine Show.



No comments: